OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Nov 11 08:05:24 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 07:47 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 23:16, Erik Bixby wrote:
> > "A Sony BMG representative contacted last week noted that the software
> > could be easily uninstalled by contacting the company's customer support
> > service for instructions."
> >
> > In light of Mark Russinovich's experiences[1], I found the last sentence in
> > that article particularly amusing...
> > -Erik
>
> And this sentence from Sony's Thomas Hessa scary:
>
> “Most people I think don't even know what a root kit is so why should they
> care about it?"
----
What, me worry?

;-)

Where's Ted Koppel when you need him?

The news media has picked up on this story in a very big way this
morning. This is very very bad PR for Sony.

This definitely reminds me of the Wired magazine article on
Sony...http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/sony.html where the 2
divisions, software (movie studios, music) and electronics battled and
it turned out that even though the electronics had much higher revenues,
the software division had much higher profits so they ruled the roost
and that left the void for Apple to grab the player market with the
iPod.

This is the type of story that will raise everyone's conscience and
perhaps get the average person to become much more knowledgeable about
the effects DRM has on their property...this is a very good thing.

Craig

believed to be clean.