apt-get broken dependencies

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Nov 8 22:51:11 MST 2005

Am 08. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

> On Nov 8, 2005, at 8:43 PM, der.hans wrote:
>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>  php4-gd: Depends: t1lib1 but it is not installable
>>>

>> Try to just install t1lib1 to find out why it's not installable.
>
> t1lib1 is available in stable, but not in testing.  That's probably my issue.
> My /etc/apt/sources.list is tracking 'testing' rather than 'stable'.

You still shouldn't be needing t1lib1 based on the package info I have.

I'm interested in why apt is wanting to install that for you.

Also, do you only have sources for testing in sources.list? If so, you
need to add stable. Whatever you're tracking you should have the less
bleeding edge sources as well, e.g testing should have testing and stable
while unstable should have unstable as well as testing and stable.

> Can I change sources.list to track stable, install t1lib1, and then switch
> back to testing?  Will that mess anything else up?

Easy to do. In fact using '-t stable' for the apt-get command line will
handle it.

https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/

See cafod. It's probably a bit out of date at this point, but the basics
still hold true even if there are now better ways to get them done.

See the info on preferences. I keep all three distros in sources.list and
pin the machines to whatever I'm tracking, which is normally stable.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Practice socially conscious hedonism. Do whatever you want,