apt-get broken dependencies

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Nov 8 20:43:36 MST 2005

Am 08. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

> I'm on Debian unstable, and I wanted to install the GD libraries for PHP.
> (Post on thumbnailing got me thinking...)  I got a message that there are
> unmet dependencies.  I think I generally know what that means, but I have no
> idea what to do.  Do I have to just wait until this is fixed in the
> repositories?
>
> What is t1lib1 (mentioned below)?  The package information for php4-gd don't
> mention it as a dependency... http://packages.debian.org/unstable/web/php4-gd

apt-cache show php4-gd | grep ^Dep

There's a dependency on libt1-5. I presume that's a newer version of
t1lib1 based on the info from the packages. Doesn't explain why it would
be necessary for php4-gd.

> thanks,
> alex
>
> ps - Here's the commands I ran...
>
> kiltlifter:/etc/php4/apache2# apt-get update
>
> <lots of update messages removed, no errors>
>
> kiltlifter:/etc/php4/apache2# apt-get install php4-gd

I just tried this with preferences nailed to stable and then overridden to
go to testing and unstable and didn't come across a need for t1lib1.

Trying to install t1lib1 from each of the 3 just worked as well.

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>  php4-gd: Depends: t1lib1 but it is not installable

Try to just install t1lib1 to find out why it's not installable.

aptitude install t1lib1

Look at output for apt-rdepends. Look at reverse dependencies for t1lib1
as well.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans