XML-RPC worm

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 19:01:17 MST 2005

Hi,

I'm really sorry, i thought this message was from a personal friend of
mine whose name is also Kevin.  Those are still basically my thoughts,
but I would have written them much more formally had I realised that
(and I dont mean to be so snooty about Gentoo, that is just a standing
joke between the two of us because he switched to Debian for unrelated
reasons).

I guess what I was getting at was that it seems to be an exploit in
PHP, not in Linux itself, so it seems to be a much less severe problem
than it is being made out to be... you cant install a systemwide
backdoor if you dont have correct permissions.  Granted, it is
probably a good idea to reinstall if you are unsure.

Also, I'd like to note Unix-based exploits are some of the oldest on
the book, because Unix a pretty old operating system.

I am really sorry that I posted that message to the group...