OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Nov 7 12:20:36 MST 2005

Am 04. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Technomage so:

> On Friday 04 November 2005 13:29, Shawn Badger wrote:
>> Looks like someone at Sony was feeling a little pressure.
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/03/HNsonypatch_1.html?source=NLC-TB2
>> 005-11-03
>>

> HAH!
> it still didn't remove the problem. I have w windows box here that is now
> useless to me for ANYTHING (I use it for data formats and applications not
> yet available under linux or runnable under wine).
>
> Their little DRM (a la rootkit) did a lot more damage. it disabled my adaptive
> technology. now its going to cost me some real $$$ (about $500.00) from the
> vendor of my speech synth software to get a new code key to reinstall my
> package (I so hate "Jaws for Windows" for this reason!).

Do you need a new code because the old one no longer works or because the
rootkit interfered and you don't know what the old one was?

Would the attorney general or some other office be able to help? Dunno if
this qualifies as going against the disabilities act, but you'd think at
least Sony PR would not want the appearance of having gone against it.

ciao,

der.hans

> Sent a polite letter over to sony BMG explaining the problem. all I got back
> was a form letter, a link to their patch and nothing else (patch didn't
> repair the damage, only made it worse).
>
> if I had the $$$, I'd hire a class action attorney.
>
> as it is, I might be able to get American Freedom Science (the vendors for
> JFW) to waive the fee (good luck!).
>
> Sony just earned a place in the "never purchase product lines of..." category.
>
> GRRRRRRRRRR
>
> TMH

#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
#    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"