Problems with the Display Manager

abc xyz abc9876xyz at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 09:13:04 MST 2005

Hi,

I installed Fedora 3 on a clean disk the other day
and I have two problems:

I changed the default runlevel from 3 to 5 and the
thing defaults to Gnome. I want it to default to KDE
but I can't find a way to do it. Each time I login in
I have to explicitly set the seesion to KDE and this
is very annoying. Any input?

The second problem has to do with the display manager.
I tried to install some software yesterday, the
installation failed with the error message:
"Wind/U x-toolkit Error: wuDisplay: Can't open
display."
echo $DISPLAY returns :0.0. xhost + doesn't solve the
problem. Setting the DISPLAY variable to another value
prevents me from logging in.
I strongly suspect this has to do with the display
manager. "ps -ef | grep dm" returns gdm-binary.
Whatever I do I cannot change this manager to another
one. And, I cannot find the KDE display manager, kdm.
I need to solve this problem to install my software.
I found out that Wind/U is some proprietary software
similar to "wine". I contacted the company that makes
it in CT, I don't think they will respond.

I thank you for any input!! A good day to everyone!!