comments on gentoo liveDVD and OpenSuse LiveDVD

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Nov 6 01:05:20 MST 2005

Am 05. Nov, 2005 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

Speaking of OpenSuSE, Dennis will be doing a presentation on it for our
meeting this Thursday at Sequoia.

ciao,

der.hans

> In case anyone else here like to try something new
> once in a while...
>
> I tried RR4, a gentoo 2005.1 LiveDVD, just a a quick
> look of what gentoo might be like. I realize running a
> Live system is different than installed. I was still
> impressed. The boot was a little slow, which is
> typical for Live systems. Still I was fairly impressed
> by the eye candy and the responsiveness of the KDE
> desktop. Firefox did crash for me, but Konquerer has
> no problems. Used dhclient to get an active land, but
> typically no touchpad scrolling or ndiswrapper wi-lan.
>
> (Open) Suse has a live DVD. SO I thought i'd boot is
> just to see. The eye candy is pretty nice, and the KDE
> desktop was also pretty snappy for a liveDVD. This
> time firefox worked. Same lack of wi-lan and touchpad
> scrolling; as expected.
>
> Gentoo installs and maintenance still scare me a
> little; and I'm probably too attached to Fedora to
> give it up. Stil both of those looked like nice
> systems.
>
> regards,
> -j

#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-)
#  -- Kevin Buettner