OT: Fair use, DRM and rootkits

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Fri Nov 4 23:12:32 MST 2005

Technomage wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 13:29, Shawn Badger wrote:
>
>> Looks like someone at Sony was feeling a little pressure.
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/03/HNsonypatch_1.html?source=NLC-TB2
>>  005-11-03
>>

> HAH! it still didn't remove the problem. I have w windows box here
> that is now useless to me for ANYTHING (I use it for data formats and
>  applications not yet available under linux or runnable under wine).
>
> Their little DRM (a la rootkit) did a lot more damage. it disabled my
>  adaptive technology. now its going to cost me some real $$$ (about
> $500.00) from the vendor of my speech synth software to get a new
> code key to reinstall my package (I so hate "Jaws for Windows" for
> this reason!).
>
> Sent a polite letter over to sony BMG explaining the problem. all I
> got back was a form letter, a link to their patch and nothing else
> (patch didn't repair the damage, only made it worse).
>
> if I had the $$$, I'd hire a class action attorney.
>
> as it is, I might be able to get American Freedom Science (the
> vendors for JFW) to waive the fee (good luck!).
>
> Sony just earned a place in the "never purchase product lines of..."
> category.

Even if not a class action suit, that might be grounds for a civil suit
to recoup costs for damages to your system as well as your time
repairing it.  You could easily demand $100/hour for fixing your system
+ software costs (like that license key).

Not sure of all the requirements, but might look into the civil code to
see what you have to do before filing a suit.