Version Control for non Programmers

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Fri Nov 4 10:17:20 MST 2005

Carl Parrish wrote:
> Anyone know of any docs on version control for non programmers? I'm
> trying to get my wife to use subversion for all her business docs. so
> far its too much for her. its too many extra steps. Any ideas on
> automating some of the steps (esp. typing in her ssh passwd) would be
> helpful. I'm looking now to see if anyone has a plug in for openoffice
> to work with subversion. Perhaps my biggest mistake was trying to get
> her to do it from the command line. But I don't know any of the GUI
> clients so if anyone has a preferred GUI for Linux please let me know.
> She's been working with Linux exclusively for about 3 years but doesn't
> want something that will "get in her way" while creating docs. All the
> books I have on Subversion and CVS have too much code in the examples.

Well, like everyone else, I don't seem to have a good answer for that.
The only place that I've seen non-computer people use version control is
with CMSes.  But, most of those are a little more painful than she's
probably interested in.

One thing you could try if she wants "no interruption" would be to just
set a cron job to run every 5 minutes to check everything in.  You'd
still get the data versioned over time, but you wouldn't have as useful
of comments.  Remember you'll also have to do a status to find files
that need to be added.

If you wanted to be really slick you could use inotify and make a pretty
cool program to do this automatically when the file is saved :)  Heck,
if you created it as an applet, then it could pop up a dialog also to
get a comment.  That might be a really cool solution.

		--Ted