Remote audio monitoring

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Wed Jul 27 15:39:55 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 14:00 -0700, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any O/S project for remote audio monitoring?  I
> would like to be able to run a local app that will connect to my home
> server and let me listen in on what's happening there.  I don't want a
> 24x7 feed, just the ability to listen in if necessary.

Not exactly an open source project, but here is a single device that
will stream live audio/video directly to a web browser.  It also uses
motion detection (probably pixel shift detection) to send you clips of
action via email.  My colleague is using it to monitor his house
remotely.  Seems to work very well.  I was impressed with the video
resolution and the motion detection alerts via email.

Of course, making it safely accessible from the Internet would require
careful application of SSH tunneling or similar, but that's easy.

...Kevin