[Fwd: Re: [Wftl-lug] Linux Distribution Chooser]

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Wed Jul 27 12:33:23 MST 2005

Found a link to a "Distro Chooser" on another maillist (WFTL). It asks
you some questions, then suggests distros(s) that you would probably
prefer. At any rate, it's fun to try. My comments after using it are below.

      http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I wonder what is in the database of distros? I suspect that it is
missing the free "knock-offs" of pricey "Enterprise" distros such as
Whitebox and CentOS--which I have used and like very much. Pressure from
the folks in the crimson derbies?

I've not used apt-get, so I don't know it. I also very much dislike rpm.
I was therefore somewhat disappointed that yum--which I think of as an
easy-to-use rpm wrapper (and a lifesaver)--was not an option.

I also noticed that there were no questions about preference on
"bleeding edge" vs stability or about desire for update availability and
ease getting & applying updates.

It put me in Fedora, which is not a bad choice, but I think that CentOS
or Whitebox is still a better choice for me.

Just my $0.02.

-mj-