GNU\Linux Portable MP3/OGG Player & Music Service (Recommendations)

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Tue Jul 26 23:24:12 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 22:40 -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> I bought one of the first mp3 players in the Diamond Rio PMP 300 many
> moons ago.  After a long stint of just burning things to CD, I am in the
> mode where I think a large capacity portable probably makes sense.  Some
> key features would be minimum 1gig storage.  Ability to broadcast to FM
> receiver.  Under $300.
>
> I prefer something that can play OGG or at a minimum MP3 formats.  I
> don't own a windows box and run Debian/Ubuntu desktops so need something
> with software that will run with minimal fuss on Debian/Ubuntu.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/m3/

That's the one that I've got and I'm happy with it.  It doesn't
broadcast FM, but will receive, you can use an external broadcaster (I'm
not sure of any that do internally).  20GB drive, mounts as a USB mass
storage device, plays OGG, MP3 and FLAC.  $289, although I have the M3L
(more expensive but with a 35 hr battery life).

They have a new one that will do video also, but I haven't used it.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/x5/

I think the most exciting feature there is that it will do USB host,
which would have been useful more than once.

The lack of a build in screen is a bit odd at first, but I've gotten
used to it and I'm happy without.  The only "windows" thing left is that
it is formated VFAT, so you might have to rename some files to the
characters/lengths that VFAT can support (I did).

		--Ted