GNU\Linux Portable MP3/OGG Player & Music Service (Recommendations)

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Tue Jul 26 22:40:23 MST 2005

I bought one of the first mp3 players in the Diamond Rio PMP 300 many
moons ago.  After a long stint of just burning things to CD, I am in the
mode where I think a large capacity portable probably makes sense.  Some
key features would be minimum 1gig storage.  Ability to broadcast to FM
receiver.  Under $300.

I prefer something that can play OGG or at a minimum MP3 formats.  I
don't own a windows box and run Debian/Ubuntu desktops so need something
with software that will run with minimal fuss on Debian/Ubuntu.

The second part of the question is I would like to use an online music
source like napster, itunes or the likes.  What services are the most
GNU\Linux friendly?

I started to do some googling, but there are so many choices now a days,
figured it would be better to ask here first with peoples first hand
experience to try to narrow it down some before googling for hardcore
specification data. :)

Thanks,

-Derek