what do you use for CD labels? CD and DVD burners?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Jul 25 22:53:57 MST 2005

I want to distribute some CDs and DVDs.

Please share your experiences and thoughts about labels for CDs. Should I
use screen printing? Avery-style inkjet stickers? Other CD
self-adhesive labels?

I have found companies to do screen printing for around 60 to 70 cents
each (plus small charge for media). This seems like it will save time
versus manually printing and sticking on labels. Do you have any
suggestions of companies you have had good experience with?

But then again I may end up with a lot of wasted CDs (which I could put
stickers on over later, I guess).

I think around here I have some CD labeling device for lining up stickers,
but I have never used it. Any opinions or thoughts about these?

For software, I could use glabels (which I have used for business cards)
or gimp plugins or kcdlabel or inkscape or other. Here are some links:
  http://glabels.sourceforge.net/
  http://shallowsky.com/software/cdplugins/
  http://kcdlabel.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.inkscape.org/  (maybe there are some templates?)

Any multi CD writers (so I can possibly burn a few CDs at a time) or DVD
burners you can suggest? What have you had good experience with under
Linux?

I wonder if it would be cheaper to outsource the work? But then I wouldn't
have more control over my time and amount of CDs needed since I could
always print, burn and ship on demand if I do it myself.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/