silly browser problem

Lynn David Newton lnewton at mvista.com
Tue Jul 19 10:46:14 MST 2005

Here's a silly KDE type problem.

I'm running SuSE 9.2 Pro and KDE with Firefox (1.05) as
my standard browser. It's configured as such wherever
it is in you tell it to use that as the standard
browser, has been since day one.

Sometimes I need to use a different browser. Today I
found a Web page with a terrible appearance (very light
gray text on a white background, completely
unreadable), and wanted to see if it looked any better
using Konqueror, so I started it and typed in the URL,
and when I pressed return, it sent it off to Firefox
instead of running it in Konqueror. Grrr. That's not
what I want. I can use the file:///path protocol just
fine in Konqueror, but http gets exported the default
browser.

My feeling is that the purpose of defining a default
browser should be for the purpose of interacting with
application programs that call a browser, e.g., a mail
tool or an OpenOffice document or whatever, but if I'm
running a browser and type in a URL in its location
bar, it's because I want to see it in *that browser*.
Why else would I be running a non-default browser?

Does anyone know how I get around that problem?

--
Lynn David Newton
MontaVista Software, Inc.
Email: lnewton at mvista.com