Intel to cut Linux out of the content market

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 22:23:06 MST 2005

OK, so we know most of the sheeple will buy into whatever media products
get the most hype.

This evening I set up friend with a Linux distro, but it probably won't
do him much good.  I have been looking at online radio stations (I don't
listen online myself, too busy working if I'm at the computer), and
whatever media are offered, my media players won't play.  But I'm sure
I'm missing something, right?  Some of these are called MP3 or
RealPlayer, and I have these, and yet they won't play.

My friend's PC has Windows XP but XP won't support his old sound card.
Linux will, but it can't support the radio stations he's been using via
Windows Media Player.  I'm not a big multimedia fan, but again I would
be interested in any pointers I could pass on to him.

I understand there are online sources of music from artists who
understand fair use.  I have never explored online music very much, but
would be interested right now if someone could once again post a list of
starting points for Linux-friendly media.

Thanks,
Vic