i386 vs i686 was Configured kernel source code ... What is it

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Jul 15 08:23:54 MST 2005

Have no fear, George. I think most of the USB problems were related to
early 2.4 kernels. I'm thinking that with hotplug baked into the 2.6.n
kernel, things should go fairly smoothly.

 From what I can tell in the readme, I'd try this:

1) Install kernel development packages
This may or may not be necessary, as much of the necessary "build chain"
(stuff you need to build kernel modules from source) is installed by
default in CentOS. Do a "rpm -q kernel-devel" on a command line. If it
shows you a kernel-devel version, you're probably good to go. If it
doesn't, add the development packages using Applications->System
Settings->Add/Remove Applications, then check Development Packages and
click Update, which will install what you need from CDs.

2) The makefile for your driver expects the kernel source to be at
/usr/src/linux. Yours is somewhere else, so create a symbolic link to
point to yours:
ln -s /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r` /usr/src/linux
Alternatively, you can:
export KSRC=/usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`
before doing the make commands, but I think the symbolic link is easier
since you only have to do it once (the export KSRC variable is only good
for the terminal window, or shell instance that you issue it from). Just
be sure to change the link if/when you rebuild the driver for a newer
kernel.

3) Copy the kernel configuration file to your source tree:
cp -p /boot/config-`uname -r` /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`/.config

Note, `uname -r` in the examples above are back-quotes (or back-ticks).
They tell the shell to execute what's contained in them and put the
results in its place. In this case, the uname -r command fetches the
kernel version that's currently running.

Follow the rest of the readme instructions, and you'll probably be good
to go.

Other observations:
1) You might be able to use the gui on CentOS to configure your wireless
parameteres (as long as you're not using WPA). I've done so with Fedora
and CentOS, but that was with PCI, not USB. YMMV.
2) You might want to take notes as you go, and write a more detailed
CentOS-centric HowTo for the device driver. That would be useful to
others who proceed down this path. I presume that it would also be
user-friendlier than the readme. Don't blame the readme writer though,
as configuration for wireless varies among the distros, and they need to
stay distro-independent.

Let us know how you `make`. :)

G Gambill wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks for the feed back.  I am still somewhat in a fog.
>
> I have chased the PCMCIA rainbow for several weeks now.  Haven't found one
> in my price range.
>
> Then I found http://linux_wless.passys.nl/AirLink_Tech.html
>
> I already have an Airlink AWLL3025/NA (USB) which I believe uses the ZyDAS
> ZD1211 chip.
>
> I plugged it in and booted.  Nothing to talk about.
>
> In hopes it will help, I include the entire 2 page README associated with
> the sf_zd1211_20050315_src.tar.gz download
>
> *****************
> README
> ZD1211 - linux driver for ZyDAS ZD1211 based USB 2.0 WLAN adapters
> Reqirements:
> ------------
> - Kernel 2.4.x. I am developing the driver on 2.4.24, but it
> reportedly also works on 2.4.x. If your kernels version is less than
> 2.4.22 (for example Red Hat 9.0 is 2.4.20-8), suggest to upgrade kernel
> for better support on USB 2.0.
> - Kernel 2.6.x. This driver has been verify on 2.6.6 and 2.6.7.
> - To build zd1211 you will need: Configured kernel source code for the
> kernel you are running. Ideally, Configured means that you have at
> least run 'make config', 'make menuconfig', or 'make xconfig'. If your
> platform is not SMP system, please don't config SMP supported, because
> when module loaded, this will make unresolved symbol..
> - Make sure your kernel usb 2.0 support is running
> - Use lsmod to check "ehci-hcd" module is loaded.
> - If host is not support usb 2.0, zd1211 will run under pure-b mode.
> Building zd1211:
> ------------
> 1) untar the package using the command:
> tar zxvf zd1211-XXXX.tar.gz
> 2) cd into the new directory and use "make" and "make install"
> to make and install driver.
> Be sure to have your configured kernel source at /usr/src/linux
> or type make KSRC=[my kernel], replacing [my kernel] with the
> directory the kernel you want the driver to be compiled for.
> Running:
> --------
> - If you have hotplug installed, the drivers should now be loaded. If not,
> load them by hand: modprobe -v zd1211
> (or Under zd1211-XXXX/zdsta directory use "insmod zd1211.o" for kernel
> 2.4.x,
> "insmod zd1211.ko" for kernel 2.6.x)
> - Check if the modules are loaded with lsmod. It should look like this:
> zd1211 183576 0 (unused)
> - Run 'ifconfig <iface> <your IP address>'
> - Run 'iwconfig <iface> ' to configure the wireless setting, here are
> some examples, more detail information please check with 'man iwconfig'.
> Example:
> iwconfig <iface> essid "My Network" //Set essid
> iwconfig <iface> channel 1 //Set channel
> iwconfig <iface> mode Managed (Station mode) //Set operation mode
> iwconfig <iface> mode Ad-Hoc (Ah-Hoc mode)
> iwconfig <iface> rts 512 //Set rts threshold
> iwconfig <iface> frag 512 //Set fragment threshold
> [...]

-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;
  it is a collectivist myth.
  There are only individual citizens