i386 vs i686 was Configured kernel source code ... What is it

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Jul 14 08:57:44 MST 2005

Craig White wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 11:27 -0700, G Gambill wrote:
>
>>Chasing down the CentOS 4 USB WiFi thing I found (on the laptop) a dir/file:
>>
>>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-hugemem-i686
>>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-i686
>>  /usr/src/2.6.9-5.0.3.EL-smp-i686
>>
>>I am fairly sure the Laptop in question is a Pentium III (WinBook XL3).  I
>>have always used the i386 flavor.
>>
>>I ran a locate -u followed by locate 0.3.EL   and it finds only i686 (no
>>i386).
>>
>>Question, do I care?  It seems to run without problems.
>>
>>I have downloaded the i386 source.
>>
>>Should I consider compiling the i386 kernel?
>
> ----
> I still think...
>
> 1 - you don't need to compile a kernel, only the module. Every time you
> want to upgrade kernel, you are gonna have to relive the experience.

True. You probably need the kernel (source) headers though, and may need
to recompile the wireless driver, depending on if the relevant headers
have changed.

> 2 - that getting a USB wifi device working is hard work, you're gonna
> need to hack udev stuff as well.

So I've heard, although I haven't done so myself.

> 3 - laptop uses pcmcia cards and there are several which use Prism or
> Orinoco chip sets which just work out of the box.

That would definitely be the easiest route.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;