Configured kernel source code ... What is it

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jul 13 08:16:24 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 16:46 -0700, G Gambill wrote:
> What does "Configured kernel source code" mean?
>
> I am wanting to install the drivers for Airlink USB WiFi Adapter (ZyDAS
> ZD1211) on a Centos 4 box and the instructions contain the following
> paragraph.
>
> - To build zd1211 you will need: Configured kernel source code for the
> kernel you are running. Ideally, Configured means that you have at
> least run 'make config', 'make menuconfig', or 'make xconfig'. If your
> platform is not SMP system, please don't config SMP supported, because
> when module loaded, this will make unresolved symbol..
>
> Could someone explain "Configured kernel source code for the
> kernel you are running" in english?
>
> When I loaded CentOS we never used CD 4, I suspect that might be the source
> CD.
----
first off, I doubt that there is any need to compile the kernel. All you
need is to build the module and install it (assuming it isn't already
installed). You are looking at a generic Linux instruction and CentOS 4
is RHEL 4 and is quite sophisticated. I think you could have picked a
much easier route than the USB wireless.

Please refer to the RH documentation...

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/

This is a phenomenal set of documentation. You will for sure want to
look at the System Administration Guide and the Reference Guide at the
very least.

Craig