Block# to File Mapping?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Jul 12 12:42:30 MST 2005

Ed Skinner said:

> Hi Alan,
>      The disk is failing in the EXT3 (/) partition. I'm planning to use
> either
> myrescue or dd_rhelp (and dd_rescue) to suck out the data to a file,
> (make a  copy of that file, then) mount the file via -o loop and fsck -Y
> to repair it.  That *should* restore the integrity of the partition's
> image but the data in  the "repaired" file(s) will still be NFG. I'd
> like to determine the affected  files and then pull just those from the
> backups. When the replacement disk  arrives it'll be quick to just dump
> the now-good data (partitions) back onto  it (including the boot
> sectors) and be up-and-running again.
>      Suggestions would be most welcome. (Second time this Dell notebook
> has
> had the disk fail in a year. Grrr...)

I am not an EXT3 knowledgable person so I don't think I'll be much help.

Your recovery plan sounds reasonable.

Can you attach the hard drive to another computer, run fsck and let it
tell you what files are bad?  Use the option to preclude actual changes to
the disk, just get the information from it.

I had a filesystem get scrambled by bad RAM a few weeks ago.  All the
superblocks and filesystem structures were messed up so the files were
still there, just no "index" to get to them.  I feel your pain.

Alan