New installation painfully slow - how to investigate?

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 00:54:46 MST 2005

> The new Mandriva 2006 install I just finished is painfully slow in some
> applications, particularly Firefox, Konqueror, and Kmail ... much slower
> than my old Mandrake 8.1 system.  I have 512 Meg of Ram and 1 Gig of swap
> and nothing else running while I do these operations one at a time.  What
> would be the recommended procedure to try to investigate and remedy this
> problem?

I would narrow it down as much as possible first.  Are the apps slow to
start, or slow running after they're up?  Is the CPU usage high when it's
slow?

In my experience, it's usually a driver issue of some type.  On one system
the kernel guessed the motherboard chipset incorrectly and the disk
performance was worse than abysmal.

Video and sound drivers seem to often cause problems if everything isn't
perfect.

It's hard to be specific without more information.