date of 7 days ago

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Fri Dec 30 12:03:41 MST 2005

On 12/30/05 11:11 AM, "Dan Lund" <situationalawareness at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm going to answer my own question it seems.
> date --date='7 days ago'

SIDEBAR:
Interesting... looks like the `date` command on all my linux boxen (Debian,
Ubuntu, Gentoo) is provided by the GNU coreutils package and supports the
--date switch.

Meanwhile, the `date` command on my BSD boxen does not support the switch.
I just tried it on FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and OSX boxes.

For grins, I also tried it on a Solaris 8 box.  Of course, it was slightly
different than everything else.  ;-)

I spend a fair amount of time bouncing between Linux and *BSD so these
things trip me up frequently.  I find myself constantly tweaking shell
scripts for these nuances.

...Kevin