local pc deals

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 09:27:13 MST 2005

Priced back at $69 now. There are other less capable,
down to 32mb and w/rebate = $19 cards for 2x/4x
service.

--- stu <wien33 at cox.net> wrote:

> If I might add a point or two. I've been shopping
> around online, and here's my
> input:
> 	-Socket A chips are getting rare, and cost about as
> much as the newer
> Socket 754 chips. NewEgg has a Sempron 64 2600+
> (retail)  going for $64.00.
> They also have a MSI 754 Barebones case with MB for
> $80.00. Add 512M of DDR
> 400 RAM for $33.00. Plus shipping, the whole thing
> is still under $200.00. I
> know the 754 looks like an orphan from the start,
> but they are the best deals
> out there right now, and ought to last you a few
> years at least. Shop around!
> 	-Fry's has (or had) a Kaiser ATI 9250 4X/8X 128M
> Video board on sale for
> $39.95. It actually claims Linux compatibility on
> the box! I bought two of
> them, and they work great on my old Socket A boxes
> running MEPIS and Debian.
> 	-All that, plus your old drives from your current
> box should put you a little
> higher on the CPU food chain.
> 	Merry X-mas to all!
> 		Stu
>
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 21:23, Josh Coffman
> wrote:
> > --- Jason Hayes <hh at hayz.ws> wrote:

> > > Socket 7, Socket 370, and Socket

> > > compatibility, seek one which uses

> to.
> > >
> > > It might be hard to find a

> sink
> > >
> > > these days.
> > >
> > > True, but he only described the PC as "pretty
> old".
> > > That's a relative
> > > term. A socket 7 PC would be ancient - almost
> museum
> > > quality stuff IMHO.
> > > So pretty old could mean an early P4? Either
> way,
> > > there are some old
> > > soldiers sitting around in almost everyone's
> closet
> > > that have a socket A
> > > or a slot 1 CPU. Digging one of those out would
> > > still be a possibility.
> > >
> > > The amount of effort expended would depend on
> just
> > > how cheap he really
> > > is (cheap also being a relative term). But I
> > > digress. 8o)
> >
> > it's a old socket A athlon XP 1700. Something I'd
> like
> > to upgrade anyway; partly because I have a copy of
> HL2
> > that I've never been able to play.
> > the biggest cpu I could put on that board is an
> athlon
> > xp 2100 which would cost about $100 or so if I
> could
> > find one for that board.
> >
> > It's also got a 32 mg Geforce2 MX which sucks.
> Also, I
> > lost a hard drive earlier this year and am down to
> > one. I prefer to keep two in the box: one for
> > system(s), one for data.
> >
> > It does have several other parts I can scavange.
> >
> > Shin zen ni rei
> [...]

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.