Citrix VPN and Linux client?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Dec 23 09:33:58 MST 2005

Scott said:
> While my experience with Citrix is extremely limited, I do know that
> there is, indeed, a Linux client.  HP uses them on some of their
> Linux-based Thin Clients.  We never had a Citrix server to test it out
> with, hence the limitation.  According to this website:
>
> http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/details.asp?dID=2755&downloadID=3323
>
> They have the client downloads for Linux in zip and rpm format.  I am
> sure that alien could provide a debianized package as well. ;)

Thanks for the pointer.

However, these clients are for the Citrix Presentation Server.  It is like
a terminal server for thin clients.  This is not what we are looking to
do.  We are looking to use the Citrix Access Gateway which provides a VPN
connection to the resources on the LAN.  Think of it this way:

Citrix Presentation Server is for thin clients.
Citrix Access Gateway, by itself, is for thick clients that want to access
the LAN from the outside.

They each have software for use on the client but one provides the thin
client experience the other only a secure connection to the LAN.  There is
client software for Linux for the thin client but not for the thick client
connection to the LAN.

Does that make sense?  It is confusing to me unless I take it slow.

We are now asking vendors about the Cisco solution and some discussion is
underway about an OpenVPN or some other "roll our own" solution too.

Thanks for everyone's comments.  This list is always helpful!

Alan