How to write to a winxp partition file from the Linux partition?

Richard Wilson r.wilson9 at cox.net
Fri Dec 23 00:28:10 MST 2005

Joe,

I have had some experience with the Linux System Rescue CD available
from http://www.sysresccd.org/  -- this is a sort of live CD that runs
Gentoo with a bunch of very useful utilities (including Gnu PartEd) and
the Clam AV engine.  It does make sense to boot a live CD and then scan
your NTFS partitions for viruses without XP running, but that requires
that the NTFS partitions be writable.  Here's how they did it:

First they used the regular Linux utilities to mount the NTFS main (I
won't call it root) partition as read-only.  Then they copy the actual
licensed Windows NTFS driver off that partition to a place under the
Linux root where it can be used by their software.  Unmount the NTFS
partition as read-only and remount it as read-write.  A nice trick that
seemed to work fine the few times I've had to use it.

There's a chapter in the manual that comes with the System Rescue CD
(can also be read on the Web) that goes through this step by step.  I've
never had occasion to try it under other distro's, but I'm sure it can
be done.

Hope this helps,

Richard Wilson

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 11:44 -0500, joe wrote:
> On my dual boot system, while logged into Linux, I can cd /mnt/windows and
> view all the files on the windows partition, but they are all r-xr-xr-x and
> even as root, I cannot copy a file or write to a file or change file
> permissions on a file in the winxp partition.  Why is that?  Surely there must
> be some way to overcome this barrier.  What's the secret?

Richard Wilson
r dot wilson (nine) at cox dot net