Citrix VPN and Linux client?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Dec 22 14:23:31 MST 2005

There is talk of getting a Citrix Access Gateway
(http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/product.asp?contentID=15005)
to provide a turnkey VPN solution for our network.  I am confused about
support for Linux clients and, unfortunately, the people selling it seem
just as confused.  I know there are some on this list with Citrix product
experience.

The initial goal is to provide secure email access (POP) to the LAN email
server from clients on the internet.  Eventually there may be access to
file shares and other LAN resources.  ie. a VPN connection.

I have learned that when a remote user contacts the Citrix Access Gateway,
it downloads a client application to the user's computer.  This client app
provides all the VPN functionality to the remote user's computer, handling
all the certificates, encryption, IP addresses, etc.  Very nice.

Starting asking or looking for Linux and it gets muddy.  Hence, my questions:

1. The Citrix VPN client that is downloaded as described above appears to
be a Windows only application.  There is a Linux application for a client
on a Citrix Presentation Server but that is not what we want.  Is there a
Citrix Access Gateway client for Linux?

2. If #1 is false and there is no client for Linux, can some "standard"
Linux SSL VPN client connect to the Citrix Access Gateway?

3. Excluding Citrix as a solution provider, what other VPN solutions are
available that you would recommend?  We're looking for something as
turnkey as possible.

I know #1 and #2 are things the vendor should answer.  The reseller we
talked to today, though smart in their experience, seemed clueless about
connecting with Linux and could not provide straight answers.  I am still
waiting on answers directly from Citrix.

Alan