Switching Console Mode

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Wed Dec 21 21:55:03 MST 2005

I didn't make myself clear.  Please let me try again . . .

In grub, when booting CentOS, I set my kernel parameters to 132 x 60,
and the boot started with that setting.  Some time during the process of
booting up, a command was executed that changed my console mode to
something like 132 x 30.

I disabled "setsysfont" in rc.sysinit, and that delayed the switch until
a few steps later.

I disabled Red Hat Graphical Boot, and that delayed the switch still
further.

Down about the point where the filesystems are being brought up, the
switch still takes place, and I can't find out where this happens.  So I
guess I give up on keeping the boot process from second-guessing the
kernel parameters, they seem dead set on doing this.

That brings me back to my original question:

>DOS had a simple "mode" command that would switch the screen mode on the fly.  I know Linux has no such simple tool, but is there something I can do after the fact to get the console density I want?  Or can someone suggest another place in the boot sequence where the static might be coming from?

Thanks,

Vic