How to write to a winxp partition file from the Linux partition?

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:28:07 MST 2005

On 12/21/05, joe <joe at tlnf.com> wrote:
> On my dual boot system, while logged into Linux, I can cd /mnt/windows and
> view all the files on the windows partition, but they are all r-xr-xr-x and
> even as root, I cannot copy a file or write to a file or change file
> permissions on a file in the winxp partition.  Why is that?  Surely there must
> be some way to overcome this barrier.  What's the secret?

Simply put, it's a bit risky to read/write NTFS on Linux because NTFS
is a closed standard owned by Microsoft and they do not publish how
NTFS works.  Reading the format is fine, because the worst that
happens is something gets read a little garbled but nothing
intrinsically 'bad' happens.

 There are projects (notably Captive and the linux-ntfs project) that
do support writing but they are considered far from polished and if
you do choose to enable read/write capability on your NTFS partitions
under Linux I would advise you to keep full and frequent backups.

Micah