Using Konqueror for FTP (was Re: GNOME vs. KDE)

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Dec 16 07:36:03 MST 2005

Siri Amrit Kaur said:
> On Thursday 15 December 2005 10:18 am nuclear-cowboy at cox.net kindly
> wrote:
>> Here's a thought. Check your browser settings for how it deals with
>> FTP, i.e. active versus passive. In the former, the client sends
>> the server a open local port for the server to connect to for the
>> data channel (port command), and the server "actively" creates the
>> data channel.  In the latter, both command and data channel are
>> initiated by the client (pasv request goes to server, server throws
>> back a pasv response with an ip and port that it opens for data
>> channel).
>
> This is a little over my head and I'm not sure where to check for it.
> Should it be set for active or passive?

I quote from here: http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-kde/2005-Oct/0033.html

-----------------
Konqueror uses passive by default, That will work in 99,9% of all cases.

There is still no graphical method to change this, but use this in
~/.kde/share/config/kio_ftprc to change to active mode:

[<default>]
DisablePassiveMode=true

If the file does not exist, create it and fill it with above content.

If I understand nuclear-cowboy correctly, you want it to be passive mode,
which it should already be doing.  Hmm...  But, double check the setting
described above.

Alan