Using Konqueror for FTP (was Re: GNOME vs. KDE)

nuclear-cowboy at cox.net nuclear-cowboy at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 10:18:41 MST 2005

Here's a thought. Check your browser settings for how it deals with FTP, i.e. active versus passive. In the former, the client sends the server a open local port for the server to connect to for the data channel (port command), and the server "actively" creates the data channel.  In the latter, both command and data channel are initiated by the client (pasv request goes to server, server throws back a pasv response with an ip and port that it opens for data channel).

Most browsers when used for FTP will login and then run minimal commands to get the root level listing. If the data channel is being blocked by a firewall, you will get the symptoms you describe.