GNOME vs. KDE [WAS: Re: gnome-look.org & kde-look.org]

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Wed Dec 14 05:20:50 MST 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:56, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:27 am Josh Coffman kindly wrote:
> > Can anyone else get to gnome-look.org or kde-look.org?
> > I haven't been able to for a couple days. Is there
> > some news I missed?
>
> Well, Slashdot is reporting a story about Linus reigniting the Gnome
> vs KDE flamewar, so maybe those sites have been slashdotted?
>
> Siri Amrit

Well, in typical ./ fashion they made a mountain out of a mole hill.  Linus
was responding to a post that mentioned how GNOME deliberately left out some
printer options so as not to confuse people.  The KDE print manager does give
you those missing options.

So, a well known Linux user prefers one desktop over another.  Big deal to
some, I guess.

Thar said, I have to agree with Linus.  The more you use KDE the faster it
becomes.  There are shortcut everywhere and sometimes it's as if the KDE
developers were reading my mind when I think to myself, "I wish there was a
shortcut so I could. . . ."

An example is the Save As dialog in KDE.  Along the left side are a number of
icons for commonly used folders that you can click and go to, similar to
Windows XP.  The difference is that you can add any folder you want by right
clicking in the area.

Another is that you can FTP to a website in Konqueror, right click on an HTML
file and open it in Kate or Kwrite then save your edits back to the site by
simply clicking the Save icon in the editor just as if it were a local file
--- very fast!

Dennisk