Xen 3

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Thu Dec 8 20:15:37 MST 2005

I hear what you're saying.  And, in fact, I do use VMWare to run a
Windows session.  However, I disagree that VMWare is used primarily
for cross-os work.  The vast majority of the time that I've used it
was for other virtual Linux machines.  And the vast majority of the
time that I've heard other people use it was for Linux work.  Really,
if using Windows is the goal, then Win4Lin is much cheaper (unless
you already have a license) and much faster than VMWare.

I think VMWare recognizes the Xen threat to their business as well.
Why else would they all of a sudden start offering the VMWare Player
for free?  Xen is still pretty immature (3.0 version notwithstanding)
but the future is undeniably bright.

I agree the UML is currently a viable alternative to Xen.  I used to
run my web/mail/proxy/file server inside of a UML session which was
very handy.  However, UML has the singular disadvantage of being
sooooo slooooooow.  It certainly wasn't bad for my use since a server
for a single person isn't very resource intensive... but if you want
to do anything more, forget it!  Xen, meanwhile, if with the TLS/NPTL
hit is still with a few percent of the host system, performance-wise.

Anyway, I like 'em all.  Each of the emulator/simulator/hypervisor
solutions has their own pluses and minuses and it's worth checking
them all out for any specific need.