FC5

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:40:05 MST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 06:31:20 -0800 (PST), Josh Coffman wrote:

> I've been holding off running FC5 until Test 2 or 3.
> But if it looks pretty solid, I might get it earlier.
> I don't have room on my laptop for a another OS so it
> would have to be stable enough to replace FC4. The
> desktop has room, but that't what my wife mostly uses,
> so I'm not gonna take a chance of messing it up.
>
> Anyone seen FC5 yet? ( Michael D, insert comments
> here. :) )

I have been using rawhide since before the release of FC4.

Beware of FC5t1.  The linux kernel may not boot.  The distribution was
unfortunately built during a short period that there was a problem for
some machines (the kernel pretty much follows what Linus releases plus a
few patches that have not yet made it into the kernel yet).

You might try installing rawhide via the internet.  I've done yum updates
from FC3 to FC5 without too much trouble (just remember to only enable
fedora-devel and fedora-extras, or you'll need more than 400MB of ram
just to run).

The biggest problem was the upgrade to openssl-0.9.8a.  Fedora-extras has
not yet updated scribus to this new version (there is no support for the
old version, but there is instruction for creating a compaibility RPM in
bugzilla).  Xine also has not been updated, but this is not in Fedora.

I can say goodbye to the /usr/X11R6 directory.  The upgrade to modular X
(X11R7) also means my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000) is supported WITHOUT
having to install modules from Xorg's snapshot.

Yes there has been a few problems, but nothing serious.  Mostly yum not
being able to apply updates for a couple of day until all dependencies
are resolved (rebuilt).

	-Paul