How to resize 60-gig ntfs partition to install dual-boot Linux?

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 22:05:37 MST 2005

--- Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 16:54 -0700, Josef Lowder
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Mandriva into a dual boot
> setup on a new HP laptop
> > on which win-xp has taken the entire 60-gig drive
> and won't allow resizing.
> > Is there some way around this?
> >
> > I see:
> > ntfs resize failed
> > ntfs resize v1.11.2
> > NTFS volume version 3.1
> > current volume size 60,003,381760 bytes - 60004 MB
>
> > followed by a long list of incremental
> percentages.
> >
> > If possible, I'd like to avoid reformatting the
> entire hard drive
> > and deleting XP entirely.
> ----
> you might want to defragment the partition first to
> make sure that there
> isn't data spread out all over and try again.
>
> Craig

Definitely defrag and backup. I have a pavilion zv5000
with a 60 gig that I'm dual booting. (Mostly avoid
windows though) Anyway, I ended up wiping it and
installing windows on about 20 gig, a FAT partition on
20 gig that I mount in both win and fedora, and the
rest (about 16 gig) for fedora.

works well. I'd actually ditch windows if I could and
just boot fedora with a 10 gig root partition and the
rest for /home and /swap.

Oh, and let me know if you need help with your wifi
(I'm guessing its broadcom like mine).

-j

Shin zen ni rei
-j