FC 5 installation results and Solaris woes(was: Why I love Fedora)

Micah DesJardins micahdj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:41:42 MST 2005

I did not. Reports are that Suse works. I haven't ever messed with
Mandriva but I might give it a shot.

FC 5 Test 1 installed beautifully, but gave me horrible video issues.
I tried installing ATI's (yuck!) proprietary drivers, but this solved
nothing.  Eventually I just went into the preferences control panel
and set it back down to 1000s of colors instead of 1,000,000s  and it
seemed a lot happier.

Solaris won't install at all for me.  Basically I figured out that if
I disable the onboard USB, it doesn't hang at hardware discovery, but
if I do that, I also have no mouse or keyboard to complete the
installation.  This is with Solaris 10 (03/05) I haven't tried
OpenSolaris yet but if anyone has any suggestions on how to get
Solaris 10 to install properly I'd love to hear them.  Basically, this
box has no PS/2 style keyboard or mouse connections so it's USB or
nothing.