Why I love Fedora

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 5 16:17:44 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 12:38 -0700, Micah DesJardins wrote:
> I like Fedora. I'm very comfortable with RH. That said, when I tried
> to install on a new Dell (Optiplex GX620) RHEL v4, Fedora Core 4,
> Ubuntu 5.1 and Debian Sarge all failed on install. (I think it may be
> a video card thing, about halfway through the text 'startup' it's like
> the monitor loses all sense of 'sync' (19 inch LCD with DVI on a
> Radeon x600 SE card)
>
> Knoppix 4.02 got me up and running so I could resize partitions. I'll
> let you know how the Solaris 10 and FC 5 Release 1 (testing) goes.
----
Fedora Core 4 installation disks generated a whole host of issues -
primarily because of their ambitious aims for FC-4 being driving GCC-4
to a usable state and a lot of changes in xorg which were punctuated by
their 'timed release' schedule which pretty much ensures that it will
get released regardless of how little regression testing occurs.

It's a shame but it shouldn't dissuade you from fedora itself because it
is a great concept and indeed - it does work. The answer seems to be to
install, boot into runlevel 3 and update it and some of the issues that
existed with things like i810 video and ati video were fixed. FC-5 which
is rapidly approaching the second test release is not likely to have any
of those issues.

Craig