Fedora Directory Server 1.0 released (Yeah!)

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Sat Dec 3 11:45:17 MST 2005

Please, correct me anytime, I make just as many mistakes as the next guy, I just hide it better ;}

I based the console requirement for Apache on a quick read of Fedora's instructions.  I may have been mistaken there, and I thank you for the correction.

I know that the Netscape DS forked.  While the timeline for the former Netscape DS in the RedHat quote is mostly correct, Sun actually bought the rights to the original code (it's in the iPlanet contracts), while AOL retained rights to create derivative works from the codebase prior to the formation of iPlanet (and IIRC the first "improvement" they made on their fork after iPlanet expired was to apply a patch set containing all of the iPlanet changes, which AOL also had rights to).
The RedHat admin tool is a separate item, and, IIRC, is a combination of AOL code (Netscape was just the AOL business unit) and code from an earlier RedHat project to provide administration for OpenLDAP, which remained the target until relatively recently.
RedHat's version of history also ignores the fact that Sun put a large amount of work into their version of DS after the fork as well.  I'm not saying that either is better than the other, only that both improved after they parted ways.

The last item was intended to note that there are other open source DS projects, including the corporate-friendly Apache, and the widespread OpenLDAP.  There's also talk that Sun may open their DS (although if they use CDDL it won't help much) and Novell may open eDirectory (probably GPL), both of which would be excellent contributions to the Open Source ecosystem.

==Joseph++