parental control / web filter

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Wed Aug 31 09:43:05 MST 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 01:23 pm Josh Coffman kindly wrote:

>   I don't have a machine to use to route web traffi
> through so I would want something on each machine
> (desktop & laptop) that is configurable per user. My
> wife and I wouldn't need as strict of filtering.
>
> Can anyone make a recomendation?

For something extremely quick and simple to install, I recommend a
hosts file. The following link has some great ones that are updated
frequently. It lists thousands of sites that, once in your /etc/hosts
file, will not be able to access your machine. These are mostly ad
sites (so it makes surfing really nice). It also has a number of
adult sites listed. The current hosts file was updated a few days ago
and lists over 47,000 sites.

They also have a "Porn Sites" list that has even more adult sites
listed. It's not updated as frequently as the regular hosts file.
It's the basic hosts file, with porn sites from
http://research.internetfilter.com/research.php added to it. The porn
site file was last updated in January. I think it has some 60,000+
sites listed.

I like hosts files because they don't require any special software or
hardware, and they don't require any more skill than using a text
editor. As root, you just copy and paste the plain text file listing
the banned servers into /etc/hosts. If the file blocks something you
want, just put a # mark at the beginning of the line for that server.
Before putting in a hosts file, copy your original hosts file and
save it. Then try the new hosts file. If you find you dont' like
using it, you can just delete it and put your original one back in
place.

Once you have a hosts file in place, delete the cache from your
browsers and you won't get any more banner ads. Nice!

I've used a hosts file for years, ever since a houseguest once used my
computer (in the guestroom) for porn. HTH- Siri Amrit

Get hosts files:
http://remember.mine.nu/