tabling in OOo

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 29 21:23:17 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 20:38 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 29. Aug, 2005 schwätzte Craig White so:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 19:27 -0700, der.hans wrote:
> > > moin, moin,
> > >
> > > I have some text files with delimited fields. I would like to use those
> > > fields to populate tables in OOo writer. Mostly just the headers, but in a
> > > couple of cases I also want to use the fields to populate the table data
> > > as well.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of a way to paste them into OOo and build a table around them
> > > or how to paste them into a pre-made table?
> > >
> > > I mean all in one swoop because the freakin' ctrl-c ctrl-v this is
> > > annoyingly stupid, especially since it's utterly right handed when
> > > combined with a mouse :(.
> > ----
> > I normally import this stuff into a spreadsheet first - old habits die
> > hard. Then I copy chunks and paste into word processor.
>
> You know, I thought I knew how to do that and was just trying to avoid
> importing to import, but I can't even get importing to oocalc first to
> work.
---
Start OpenOffice.org.
File Menu -> Open -> choose delimited.csv (or other delimited file) ->
you should stop at an open delimited file wizard that allows you to pick
the delimiter to separate into columns
---
> oowriter keeps wanting to paste the oocalc fields as a single object :(.
---
Edit Menu -> Paste Special -> formatted or unformatted text
---

> vi has always been a sufficient word processor for me, but unfortunately
> it doesn't work for the end customers for this doc...
---
further evidence that long term usage of vi is hazardous to one's health
and productivity. Emacs can save you  ;-)

Craig