gentoo partition recommendations

Dragos Neagu dragos.neagu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 17:55:49 MST 2005

On 8/27/05, Jared Anderson <PluggedIn at thegoldenedge.com> wrote:
> I'm running Gentoo on my laptop, I've got a 30GB hd and 768MB of ram.
>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> hda1                       Primary     Linux ext3      10239.87
> hda2                       Primary     Linux ext3       8023.75
> hda3                       Primary     Linux ext3      10739.96
> hda4                       Primary     Linux swap       1002.26
>
> hda1 is the / directory, hda3 is my home directory.  hda2 is used for miscellaneous
> experiments (other distros, other O/S, temporary file storage, etc.).
>
> Some people like the set a partition aside for the /boot directory, but I don't: it
> gets to cluttered for my retentiveness.
>
> At the very minimum, I recommend separate partitions for the /, /home, and swap
> partition.  10GB should be plenty for a / directory.  'They' say your swap file
> should be be 1-2x as big as the amount of system memory; however, my swap file is
> rarely used.  The size of the /home partition should be big enough to hold your MP3s. ;)

I setup 512M for swap, I wasn't using swap much anyways, unless I had
like a dozen programs open :-P. 64M for /boot, 512M for /, 3G for /var
(both from handbook example), 10G for /usr (from example and irc) and
the rest, 42G went to /home.

--
-Dragos Neagu <><
"If I have been able to see farther, it was only because I stood on