Secure File Transfer & Jailed user accounts

Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu
Fri Aug 26 18:16:56 MST 2005

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> I thought that I had read if you put /./home/user as the users home
> directory in /etc/passwd that it would chroot them to that directory
> only. Don't recall where I read that info and it may not be at all
> accurate.
>
> Most ftp programs should have a way to lock them into their home
> directory though - I don't do much ftp these days.
>
> Craig

Would have been great if it worked but, no.
I created a new user with a home dir like you mentioned and it did nothing other
then create a normal user

#  useradd -d /./home/test2 testme
#  passwd testme
Changing password for user testme.
New UNIX password:
BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary word
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.