Secure File Transfer & Jailed user accounts

Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:27:58 MST 2005

Ok at this point I am willing to do anything, including wiping out my OS and
starting from scratch.

I need a way for users to access my box in a secure manor and upload / download
files.  But I also need to ensure that those users can never navigate above
their home directory (I will have several users set to the same home)

I can not get chroot to work for the life of me!

Can any one offer some serious help and a bit of hand holding?  And in this case
assume I am a newb, and instructions like "copy the required files to the chroot
jail" mean as much to me as "go a head and build the a coliseum and then fill it
with lions" as I have no idea what are the minimum required file or where they
are located.  (Ok I do know how to copy files but lately I am feeling like that
may be the extent of my knowledge)

Currently I am using FC4 with ACL on the home directory, but I am willing to
change to any system (as long as I can still use ACL)  and I am no longer
married to SSH, if it can be done with SCP easier, or even something else, then
I am down.  As long as my windows users can get their stuff with nothing more
complex the FileZilla, then there should be no issue with trying something new.
 I would not even mind setting up SMB shares either if some one can tell me how
to secure it.

Thanks in advance,
       Bryan O'Neal

BTW For the first person who can show me how to do this, I will cover your
entier tab at the next Linux Happy Hour (Say in a month?)