modem

ec eculbert at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 10:52:45 MST 2005

Any (most?) external modem works okay as far as I have
heard. Besides, they have nice lights to tell you that
the link is hung awaiting more info/bits by not being
blinking when a page seems to hang forever.

Yes, they cost more, but are better as far as I have
seen. The second best is any 'full' modem..ie. not
windmodem. Some are 'linmodem' rated, but I still
prefer an external. Love my Hayes Courier.

--- Hap Hap <happeninghap at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Plug Members,
> My first post here. Been lurking a few days now.
> I've installed Mepis from a
> live CD and will show up at a install fest sometime
> soon. I 'm a point and
> click M$ user up until lately and need help with my
> new computer interface.
> I've been reading a lot of linux stuff and most of
> the command line stuff is
> not sinking in. I'm not in a hurry to learn Linux,
> and if I get lost I am
> able to switch drives back to windows. Several
> things are working very
> well......CD ripper, XMMS, KsCD, eithernet(online/w
> cox), FireFox, and some
> card games. I do want to stick with linux and bail
> on M$ and Bill's new
> vista OS next year. Anyway here's my question. My
> other computer is in a
> dialup only area. Which modem should I get local in
> Phoenix? Name and model?
> Store? I'm hoping to get a unit that Mepis will see
> and configure
> automaticly on that box.
>
> --
> Hap McDaniel