Mounting FAT partitions on Ubuntu

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Fri Aug 26 00:05:10 MST 2005

Please read all of this, what you're trying to do cannot be accomplished the way you're trying to do it.

You should never be able to login as root.  Ubuntu does it the "proper" way by using sudo.
To get a root login, simply "sudo su -" and, after entering *your* password, you'll be in as root.
Most of the time, you should just be root for a single command, in which case "sudo <command>" works just fine.
Of course, this won't help you change the permissions of the mounted volumes, but that's handled below.

You cannot change the permissions on a mounted FAT/VFAT/NTFS partition.
You cannot change the owner on a mounted FAT/VFAT/NTFS partition either.
This is because FAT/VFAT don't have permissions in the filesystem, and NTFS uses ACL's and MAC, which Linux doesn't support very well at this point.

If youwant to have access to a FAT/VFAT or NTFS partition mounted in Linux, you must modify the mount commands to specify the umask, and/or the uid options.
If you specify a 000 umask, you should see drwxrwxrwx for the file permissions on the mounted volume.
For VFAT, dmask and fmask provide a good split, since a umask of 000 leaves EVERY file executable, but umask 111 leaves directories unreadable, see the example below for the solution
If you want to change the owner of the files, set the uid=#### option to the uid of your user.
Be sure to prepend sudo to the mount command.

e.g. sudo mount -t vfat -o dmask=000,fmask=111,rw,nouser,sync,uid=1000 /dev/hda2 /mnt/drivec

Good luck.

BTW, the reason you don't get an error trying to change the permissions and/or owner on the partitions is because the default for mounting a FAT/VFAT/NTFS partition is "quiet" which means any premissions setting actions are silently ignored.

==Joseph++