linux saved my butt, but ....

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Aug 25 18:59:08 MST 2005

Josh Coffman wrote:

> --- "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:
>

>>Am 25. Aug, 2005 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:
>>

>>>  My kids started fighting over playing Tux games
>>
>>on
>>
>>>my laptop. So i figured I would dual boot the
>>>desktop...
>>>
>>>  I backed-up, defragged, and booted a livecd
>>
>>(Mepis)
>>
>>>to shrink the partition.
>>>
>>>  Well Mepis messed up. I like Mepis and was
>>
>>planning
>>
>>>on using it for the desktop. But now I couldn't do
>>>anything. Actually, it was QTParted that caused
>>
>>the
>>
>>>problem.
>>>
>>>  fixmbr didn't work, couldn't install windows,
>>
>>Mepis
>>
>>>couldn't install. I tried a couple others that
>>>couldn't fix it. Anyway, Fedora Core 4 installed
>>>great. I just told it to use the whole disk an
>>
>>remove
>>
>>>any previous partitions.
>>>
>>>Thing is I was planning on partitioning the drive
>>
>>so I
>>
>>>could at least have seperate /home and /swap. That
>>
>>way
>>
>>>I could easily switch distros without deleting
>>>everyone's files.
>>>
>>>Now I'm a little gun-shy about trying to shring a
>>>partition again, but I'd like to be able to switch
>>>distros if I feel like it. Suggestions?
>>
>>Well, the way to do it is the tool that already
>>burned you...
>>
>>parted is the tool to use to resize the partitions.
>>Maybe you missed a
>>step or it just didn't handle the m$ filesystem
>>properly.
>>
>>Dennis highly recommends system rescue cd for
>>parted, but I would think
>>anything that has a current version would be fine.
>>
>>I recently looked at the parted documentation and
>>they mentioned problems
>>with ntfs that had only recently been overcome. I've
>>only used parted a
>>couple of times, though, so take advice from others
>>about it as being more
>>relevant.
>>
>>You should already have a swap partition. Look at
>>/etc/fstab and output
>>from 'free'.
>>
>>$ grep swap /etc/fstab
>>/dev/hda6       none            swap    sw
>>   0       0
>>/dev/hdb2       none            swap    sw
>>   0       0
>>$ free
>>             total       used       free     shared
>>  buffers     cached
>>Mem:        515824     506436       9388          0
>>     9376     161008
>>-/+ buffers/cache:     336052     179772
>>Swap:      1474708     737628     737080
>>
>>ciao,
>>
>>der.hans
>>--
>

> i used parted on mepis 3.3.1, which is probably a
> little older and may not have the ntfs fixes... so
> that makes sense.
>
> funny thing is that mepis's support for ntfs is part
> [...]
We've used the QTParted from SystemRescueCD to resize ntfs with no problem.

Please specify what it is you'd like to end up with, and I'll take a
stab at writing a recipe for you.

Note, I've run into a problem resizing ext3 filesystems too. If you have
SELinux installed, which I think FC4 would, that uses filesystem
extensions that parted doesn't (yet) support. I think you'll want to
start (again) from scratch.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;