linux saved my butt, but ....

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 11:19:01 MST 2005

  My kids started fighting over playing Tux games on
my laptop. So i figured I would dual boot the
desktop...

  I backed-up, defragged, and booted a livecd (Mepis)
to shrink the partition.

  Well Mepis messed up. I like Mepis and was planning
on using it for the desktop. But now I couldn't do
anything. Actually, it was QTParted that caused the
problem.

  fixmbr didn't work, couldn't install windows, Mepis
couldn't install. I tried a couple others that
couldn't fix it. Anyway, Fedora Core 4 installed
great. I just told it to use the whole disk an remove
any previous partitions.

Thing is I was planning on partitioning the drive so I
could at least have seperate /home and /swap. That way
I could easily switch distros without deleting
everyone's files.

Now I'm a little gun-shy about trying to shring a
partition again, but I'd like to be able to switch
distros if I feel like it. Suggestions?

-j