GUI apt-get

stu wien33 at cox.net
Thu Aug 25 03:04:49 MST 2005

If I might add a few more to the list:
	Simply MEPIS 3.3.1 - it's every bit as easy to use as Linspire, but without
cost. I use it myself, and have started several others on it. So far,
everyone seems quite pleased with it, even when one guy accidentally
obliterated his girlfriend's XP partition with it. Once she started working
with MEPIS, she didn't mind at all! Once her father saw it, he started
running it too! Being able to run it as a Live CD is a big plus, and it
installs from the same CD. It upgades through either Synaptic Package Manager
or the Kpackage manager very easily. Runs very well on older computers (like
a AMD K6) with the 2.4 Kernel option.
	Damn Small Linux - works very well, and can also be installed from the live
CD. The whole Distro is only 50M, and can be upgraded from the DSL site. As
already mentioned, it's similar to Puppy. Both are quite nice, fast, and
compact.
	ARK Linux - Looks about as nice as MEPIS, but I haven't played with it too
much yet.
	I like Ubuntu fine, but I just don't think it's all it could be, IMHO.

		Stu