GUI apt-get

Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu
Wed Aug 24 22:55:32 MST 2005

Thanks, good advice on the Debian / Ubuntu
I think he will like Ubuntu better, but as long as he has a few office apps, a
web browser, and VM Ware to run his AutoCAD in, I think he will be fine.  He is
just sick of word, or ie, or (of all things) solitare, crashing his entier
system and wiping out his cad work.

For that mater I have super intendent at work who I am convincing to go lin for
similer reasons...  He get boged down with viruses and all he wants to do is
surf, chat, and read email.. but windows seems wofully inadequate for this as it
keeps crashing :)

Quoting Joseph Sinclair <plug-discuss at stcaz.net>:

> Linspire is not quite compatible with Debian, you have to use their
> repositories, and that means you have to use their GUI tool (they call
> it "CNR technology", and it should be on the desktop).
> If you want more freedom (or just don't want to pay their annual support
> fee), you should do what Hans does, just install Debian (unless you're
> running an Athlon64, in that case try Ubuntu).
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.1 is the only thing widely supported in repositories,
> for the betas, you'll need to go to the OpenOffice.org site, download
> their source, and load it manually.  Alternatively, is an unofficial
> .deb build at

(ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/SRC680_m125/Build-1/OOo_SRC680_m125_en-US_native_LinuxIntel_install_deb.tar.gz).