Install/Fest

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Aug 24 15:20:12 MST 2005

Am 23. Aug, 2005 schwätzte Robert Rosenwald so:

moin, moin Robert,

> I'm thinking of coming to the InstallFest this Saturday. I'm relatively
> new to Linux having installed it and uninstalled it about a dozen times
> on various systems. Recently I got SUSE 8.1 installed on my Sony Vaio
> 505TR and all is fine except that I can't get connected to any network.

As Craig already mentioned a more current distribution will help.
Alexander has various CDs available at the InstallFest, so he can provide
something more current for the install.

I think he and Dennis also make the CDs available for purchase, but you don't
need them once you have GNU/Linux installed and a network connection.

> All my connectors are either USB 1.1 or PCMCIA. I really want to get my
> wireless card working. IIRC I have a D-link DWL-G650 card that is my

I used USB, PCMCIA and on board wired interfaces on my laptops and PCMCIA
wireless as well.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=357&question=General%20Wireless

You might also just try booting with either a Knoppix or Ubuntu Live CD
and see if the cards are supported by them. Those CDs should also be on
hand at the InstallFest.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "So the environment is not a luxury ... It is an economically important
#  insurance policy whose wisdom we ignore at our peril."
#  -- Klaus Toepfer, U.N. environment agency Executive Director