How to "mass" renaming files

MCR mike1071 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 11:39:02 MST 2005

Here is a script that I have been using a lot lately,
it is a simple shell scripts:

#!/bin/bash
number=12
for img in  *.jpg
do
        mv $img $number.jpg
        $((number = number + 1))
done

this will take all file in a directory that ends in
jpg and will rename it to the name of $name.  You can
set $name to start at what number you want and it will
increment by one.  I have gone as high as 253
pictures, I do not know what number it will stop at.

Hope it Helps.

Mike

--- Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Can anyone provide a simple shell script command to
> change the file names of all the files in a given
> directory?
> 	from pict0001.jpg to just 01.jpg
> 	from pict0002.jpg to just 02.jpg etc. etc.
> with the numbers running to a few hundred pix, all
> with
> the same "pict00..." first part of the filename.
>
> I looked on the 'net to find a shell script to
> "mass" rename the files
> in any given directory and found the example below
> to rename the
> suffix from php3 to just php, but I couldn't figure
> out how to modify
> that to change the filename itself.
>
>  ls -d *.php3 | sed 's/\(.*\).php3$/mv "&"
> "\1.php"/' | sh
>
> I also found a *nix utility on my system named
> 'rename' but I
> couldn't get it to work.  Below is an excerpt from
> the 'man' page
> for 'rename' ... but what in the world is 'foo'??
>
> MAN PAGE excerpt:
> rename will rename the specified files by replacing
> the first occurrence of from in their name by to.
> For example, given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10,
> ..., foo278, the
> commands
>
> rename foo foo0 foo?
>  rename foo foo0 foo??
>
> will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010,
> ..., foo278.
> And
> rename .htm .html *.htm		will fix the extension of
> your html files.

One is led to truth through the interpretation of a myth.